Friday, December 30, 2011

2011 Year in Review

I am at work right now and extremely bored which is why this is my SECOND post of the day (first one here).

I found this on Hilarity in Shoes and later on Single Much so check those ones out too if you are like me and like to read about strangers!

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
I wrote a letter to my boss that said everything I was feeling, even though it was probably irresponsible. It worked out but I think I got lucky.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? 
Last year, I don't think I made any formal resolutions because I was miserable and felt it was all hopeless. I already made some for this year and I've got some plans to stick with them. I also made Boyfriend a resolution to get engaged to me.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, thank God. Although, Boyfriend's sister is due January or February. That's about all the baby I can take for a year.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank God. I feel like people I know are always dying so this is a relief.

5. What countries did you visit?
Sadly, none. I didn't even make it to Canada. Traveling abroad will be a goal for 2012 (provided Boyfriend gets a job). I don't even know where my passport is right now. Ugh, pathetic.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
A bigger apartment...Next September, when our lease is up I would like to move into a place with a separate bedroom and a view of the city. Not that unreasonable if Boyfriend gets a job. Also, I'd like to have a big fat engagement ring that I can take pictures with and post on Facebook. Like a picture of my hand pulling some TP and a caption that reads, "My ring and me taking a tinkle!" I think people will appreciate this.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The day I was freed from my horrible Chain-of-Airport-Spas job. I actually cried from relief and happiness when I was signing my dismissal letter, especially when they gave me my severance check. 

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Probably completing a half-marathon. I also made it on the Rachael Ray show and NY1, which I  personally think are better than completing a half but people are always more impressed by the latter. I also only lost two phones, which is a big improvement over 2010's 5 lost phones.

9. What was your biggest failure?
I gained a shit ton of weight in 2011 so that was a failure to stay in control. I also consider myself a financial mess so again, failure to stay in control. I bought the Thunderbolt which Engadget just listed as one of Tech's Biggest Misfires of 2011 so... womp womp.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, despite my relatively unhealthy lifestyle, I am a generally healthy person. I did lose a few toenails.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Boyfriend and I bought a big screen and I got this awesome fur hat for my birthday from Boyfriend. I bought more jewelry this year which I am happy about.





12. Where did most of your money go?
Rent then booze. I sat down and figured out how much Boyfriend and I spend on booze each month and it is not pretty. But I love happy hour, wine and craft beer! So, the solution here is to make more money.

13. What did you get really excited about?
I get unduly excited about most things. I get super excited any time a friend is coming to visit.

14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Probably "Hold it Against Me." During a road trip upstate, I heard this song close to 50 times so it's pretty much etched in there.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier. A million times so. A good job really does make a difference. 
Thinner or fatter? Fatter, as previously mentioned. 
Richer or poorer? I make more money but I'm poorer so... poorer :(

16. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Travel, even in the US. I went to DC once but that was about it, besides trips home. 


Exercise. Blog.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?
I feel like I should say drink here but I don't regret most of that. I guess PAY to drink would be the answer. More free drinks in 2012. Guess I should get some more slutty tops.

18. How did you spend Christmas?
I spent Christmas day with Boyfriend's family and the 23rd of December or "Christmas" with my family. It was a great Christmas and I wouldn't change a thing. Except for my selfish cat getting sick.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
I watched The Wire from start to finish and it was awesome, as everyone promised. I also LOVE It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and Modern Family.  I hated Dexter; this season was absolutely atrocious.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
I read a lot of the classics this year from when I got my Kindle for Christmas 2010. My favorite was Requiem for a Dream. I also read the Game of Thrones series and the first three books were AMAZING. The last two were terrible, boo.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?
I really liked "Pumped Up Kicks" but the best part of this year was all the records we came in to in June. It has been so much fun listening to the strange things from my grandparents (Samoan Love Song anyone? How about "Music for Two People Alone") as well as some hoarders we were able to collect from.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
I don't watch movies but there were some good documentaries on HBO.  There was a really great one about the woman who sued McDonald's when she spilled her hot coffee called Hot Coffee. It also goes into other ways we are being litigiously screwed by Corporate America without even realizing it.

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 25! And the weekend before I went dive bar crawling in Lower Manhattan and finished it up with Karaoke in Queens. On my actual birthday, I rushed my cat to the emergency pet hospital. You get some and you give some.

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A surprise birthday party! I've wanted one my whole life and despite many overt hints, have not received. Also, Boyfriend having a job. It's too stressful being the cash cow.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Boots and leggings. Sweatpants while unemployed. Dresses. Basically, lazy-people clothes.

26. What kept you sane?
Getting a job within three months of losing my previous one. My new job being exponentially better than my old one. I am eternally grateful for that.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Don't cry at work. It's not professional and people lose respect over it. A friend told me that when she feels like crying, she pictures the person she's talking to getting mushroom slapped. It's surprisingly effective.

3 comments:

  1. terrific to have a job you love!! I am a believer in that... congrats! Love the questions and answers.
    xx-
    Sabrina
    www.samplesize16.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in lurve with your big fur hat. Also, I typically read like a fiend but I have been stuck on book 4 of Game of Thrones for about 5 months now. Time to give up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @rooth: Thanks for visiting! I also slogged through 4 (and then 5) and ultimately regret continuing. I'd say wait until book 6 comes out - if ever - and then read the Wiki summaries of 4&5. They're pretty good. Hopefully he writes more passionately in 6 :)

    ReplyDelete